alternative scheduler

Fredrik Thulin ft at it.su.se
Tue Nov 23 21:08:01 CET 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-23 at 20:43 +0100, Jochen Bern wrote:
> On 11/23/2010 01:59 PM, Fredrik Thulin wrote:
> > I was able to write a brand new scheduler that works MUCH better - 1160
> > checks per minute, compared to ~60. Any plans to do something drastic
> > about the Nagios service check scheduler?
>
> One question, for sake of clarification: Does your definition of "check
> scheduling" include the mid-term planning (i.e., "check returned OK,
> should be repeated after the configured check_interval, if check_period
> permits" and the likes), or only the short-term scheduling of "due"
> checks onto the resources for actual execution (in the style of a
> (distributed) batch queue)?

The proof of concept is super simple - it was all done in less than six
hours time.

You load it with in my case ~6000 checks, and say that you want them
started in N seconds (in my case 300 seconds).

One check will then be started every 50 ms until the cows come home.

How long a certain check takes to finish is not important at all with my
scheduler. I think the number of available file descriptors would be the
first resource to become starved by checks with long latency.

Improving the scheduler to support different check_intervals etc. would
not be difficult, but is something I've never utilized with Nagios to
date.

/Fredrik

http://p.sf.net/sfu/intelisp-dev2dev