FYI: CVS HEAD breaks mk-livestatus

Mathieu Gagné mgagne at iweb.com
Thu Nov 11 19:43:51 CET 2010

On 11/11/10 5:11 AM, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Well, it was dead from the point of view of Nagios. It would help if
> module authors refrain from using functionality that Nagios itself
> doesn't use.

I do agree with you...

> Anyways, I've restored it now, with a comment that it is to be removed
> when we release Nagios 4 and are allowed to break the API.

However a minor version isn't the place to break backward compatibility
even if the function is considered deprecated.

APR isn't the reference for Nagios development but:
http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html

About "Minor Versions":

"Deprecating functions

Since a function must remain available for applications coded against a
previous minor release, it is only possible to "deprecate" a function.
It cannot be removed from the headers (so that source compatibility is
retained) and it cannot be removed from the library (so that binary
compatibility is retained)."

About "Major Versions":

"Any kind of change can be made during a major version release.
Particular types of changes that might occur:
  * remove or change constants
  * remove (deprecated) functions
  * fold together macro-ized function replacements"

Just my 2¢

--
Mathieu

http://p.sf.net/sfu/dell-eql-dev2dev