googlemaps option for nagios maps

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Nov 1 12:28:39 CET 2010

On 11/01/2010 12:05 PM, Marcel J.E. Mol wrote:
> Hi lsit,
>
> Based on one of the googlemap contributions in the exchange area I created
> a new version of it using the googlemap API3. The advantage of API3 is
> that you don't seem to need a goggle key anymore.
>
> Host will show as a red or green marker to indicate the host status.
>
> When hoovering over a host marker the status popup will appear (unless suppress
> popups is checked of coarse).
>
> When mousedown on a host an information box will appear showing hostname,
> the gps_notes (a host item in the location.cfg file) and the gps coordinates.
> On mouseup the information box will dissapear.
>
> Leaving the mouse on a host will eventually show the hostname.
>
> when going to a to map via 'show host on map' the selected host will be
> drawn with a circles shadow.
>
> An example can be seen on http://mesa.nl:81/nagios/
> (user guest password nagios)

Perhaps I'm just stupid, but I can't seem to find any gps_notes on that
site, and it looks like a vanilla Nagios install to me.

> Is this a usefull option to add to the distribution or is it only
> interesting enough to be put on the exchange pages?

That would depend on who you're asking. I guess people with widely
distributed networks would find it useful to have in the distribution.

> Currently it uses a seperate configuration file. If it is included in
> the nagios distribution the gps coordinate can be added to the main
> host definitions.

No, they cannot. Changing the object structures breaks the ABI, so in
order to do that one would need to bump Nagios from 3.2 to 4.0. This
change, while certainly handy and nifty in many ways, doesn't really
warrant that imo.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/nokia-dev2dev