empty hostgroups

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed May 5 11:38:26 CEST 2010

On 05/05/2010 08:41 AM, Michal Svoboda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it seems nagios does not like (as in, won't start) a setup where we have
> a couple of services that belong to a hostgroup but the hostgroup itself
> is empty.
>
> Why is that?

Because Nagios assumes all services have hosts. When it can't find a host
for the service, it bails out, which is what's happening now.

> The use case is that the hostgroup sometimes contains a host, sometimes
> two, and sometimes none, but I like to keep all the respective configs
> around to that the transition from none to one is easy.

Add a dummy host to the group if you like, or live with this limitation.
If we add this feature, we'll get complaints from users who have
inadvertantly emptied one or more contactgroups and expect to get
warned by Nagios' config parsing tool.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.