More performance optimizations for 3.2.0, this time optimizing startup time

Ton Voon ton.voon at opsera.com
Thu Jan 28 09:49:51 CET 2010

Hi Jonathan,

On 28 Jan 2010, at 02:28, Kamens, Jonathan wrote:

> See the attached patch, nagios-3.2.0-startup-speed.patch, which
> optimizes startup time.  It requires the patch I sent last month.
> I've also attached and updated version of that patch which has some
> bug fixes in it.  Enjoy!

Thanks. I've noticed this too for comments and downtimes.

I'm wondering if there is a better way of doing this. Rather than each
caller having to work out the next comment id value and making sure it
is still unique, I think the next_comment_id should be manipulated
within xrddefault.c instead. If you call add_new_comment with a
comment_id of 0, it uses next_comment_id and ensures it gets
incremented.

I guess on the initial load of retention.dat you have to validate that
the next_comment_id is unique, but you shouldn't have to after that.

Can you extend the tests in t-tap/ to time the performance increase?

So I'm thinking that the patch needs a bit more work to be applied.

Ton