The nagios community wants to keep its open soul

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Fri Feb 26 22:01:27 CET 2010

Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> Is it just me who can picture Ethan giggling away at the keyboard while
> he was writing that email? Personally, I thought it was hilarious :D
Well it was a reaction I never expected - so it's quite funny to look
at. Although it makes the situation even worse. But hey, I don't know
how the express that in English but here in Austria we have an
expression like "take your ass up into the community's face" aka "mitm
orsch ins gsicht fohrn" ;-)

> With that attitude, it's really a breeze to get exactly what you want
> from practically anybody. Demanding nameless features that you're
> not sure what they would do is a surefire way of getting no response
> what so ever.
>
> So let's have a look at what requests there are on Nagios. These are
> from ideas.nagios.org, which I assume is a decent collection of ideas
> that people share. I've only bothered with the top five or so, since it
> already shows a very very clear pattern without going further than
> that.
>
> * New gui. Lots of people want this. Well, that's something that can
> easily be implemented outside the nagios core, and there's currently
> at least two teams working on making that true. One is at op5 and
> the other is the icinga team.
>
> * Clustering/redundancy/loadbalancing/failover stuff. A lot of
> competent programmers (Nagios core devs included) all agree that
> such a feature needn't reside inside the Nagios core itself, but would
> be much better off written as a module. DNX, Merlin and other efforts
> are under way and are nearing production quality or are already on
> it.
>
> * New statusmap. Well, we at op5 have developed several already.
> They're free for grabs, since we've made sure to publish all our git
> repositories. You want to fly around in a 3d landscape in a java app?
> It's there for the taking. You want something that works with google
> maps and lets you draw whatever you want on a map? That too is
> already there, contributed back to NagVis, which we decided to use
> for that particular thing. You want something where hostgroups and
> their parent relations are drawn? lo and behold, we have that too.
> Download it and install it. If you can't figure out how to make it work,
> that's a different issue that we can work with after you've tried and
> failed.
>
> * Web frontend for configuration
> Nacoma (the op5 written tool) has been opensource and totally
> free for the past year or so. Go grab it. It works wonderfully for
> our 400+ customers and we actively develop it.
>
> * SLA reporting tool
> Again, it's up for grabs from the op5 git repositories. Just download
> and install it and you'll have corporate quality reports. Again, we do
> actively develop it.
Basically you are pointing to op5 related software. What I don't get is
the fact, that there was the proposal to take Merlin/Ninja into Nagios
and provide everything alltogether with a new webinterface and neb
module and so on. What did happen to that idea?

> Besides the above ones, many of the suggestions on ideas.nagios.org
> are already implemented or could easily be implemented by someone
> who really cares about the feature requested. But people are lazy and
> seem to be scared of ending up maintaining a software project, though
> they have no hesitation asking someone else to do what they really
> don't want to or can do.
Who maintains or moderates ideas.nagios.org? Devs or is it something in
Nagios Enterprises?

Kind regards,
Michael