The nagios community wants to keep its open soul

nap naparuba at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 20:53:15 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se> wrote:

> [...]
> what so ever.
>
> So let's have a look at what requests there are on Nagios. These are
> from ideas.nagios.org, which I assume is a decent collection of ideas
> that people share. I've only bothered with the top five or so, since it
> already shows a very very clear pattern without going further than
> that.
>
> * New gui. Lots of people want this. Well, that's something that can
> easily be implemented outside the nagios core, and there's currently
> at least two teams working on making that true. One is at op5 and
> the other is the icinga team.
>
> * Clustering/redundancy/loadbalancing/failover stuff. A lot of
> competent programmers (Nagios core devs included) all agree that
> such a feature needn't reside inside the Nagios core itself, but would
> be much better off written as a module. DNX, Merlin and other efforts
> are under way and are nearing production quality or are already on
> it.
>
> * New statusmap. Well, we at op5 have developed several already.
> They're free for grabs, since we've made sure to publish all our git
> repositories. You want to fly around in a 3d landscape in a java app?
> It's there for the taking. You want something that works with google
> maps and lets you draw whatever you want on a map? That too is
> already there, contributed back to NagVis, which we decided to use
> for that particular thing. You want something where hostgroups and
> their parent relations are drawn? lo and behold, we have that too.
> Download it and install it. If you can't figure out how to make it work,
> that's a different issue that we can work with after you've tried and
> failed.
>
> * Web frontend for configuration
> Nacoma (the op5 written tool) has been opensource and totally
> free for the past year or so. Go grab it. It works wonderfully for
> our 400+ customers and we actively develop it.
>
> * SLA reporting tool
> Again, it's up for grabs from the op5 git repositories. Just download
> and install it and you'll have corporate quality reports. Again, we do
> actively develop it.
>
> Besides the above ones, many of the suggestions on ideas.nagios.org
> are already implemented or could easily be implemented by someone
> who really cares about the feature requested. But people are lazy and
> seem to be scared of ending up maintaining a software project, though
> they have no hesitation asking someone else to do what they really
> don't want to or can do.
>
> The shameful part are all the requests for things that already exists.
> I can understand non-developers asking coders for features, but I
> have a hard time respecting people who can't even be bothered to
> google for something they claim they want, and then whine about
> it when they don't get it.
>
> So if I resume the current situation, on one side we have a foss project
leader that:
*send "drama" jokes (that make no one really hilarious in fact)
*between two personals attacks say that a community site cannot talk about
what they want
*still do not answer about the roadmap (yes, even with all tries to do not
answer it, we still need an answer...) of the foss part
*try to get all steps of "How to destroy your community"
http://lwn.net/Articles/370157/ (steps 4, 5, 6, no more 9 but a great 10)

And in the other side : you
*always answer to the community, even for quite original proposals...
*try to make all people work with each others
*succeed at resolving all top 5 ideas of nagios
*(even try to resolve the hidden first one by answering to this open letter)

Is this a problem for you if I consider you as the current Nagios foss
leader?

Jean