The nagios community wants to keep its open soul

Olivier JAN ojan at gfi.fr
Tue Feb 23 10:35:44 CET 2010

It's an alarm call that is raised : after a long period where people
began to think nagios is a dead foss project, we nearly reach a point
of no return : the author try to gag on the community because it's to
free!!

Let's get back to the facts : Nagios is still the reference in the
open source monitoring tools, and some serious challengers like Zabbix
or Zenoss try to reach its place. In the open source world, and
especially the monitoring one, the real strength is not in code lines,
but in the community around the project. You know the Nagios one has
been a great one during years. Meanwhile, since two years, the lack of
presence and answer from Ethan to proposals from the community
legitimately irritate the community. As much as a fork, named Icinga,
arisen a year ago.

Where the story became complex is when we look at the economic sphere
around Nagios. Like a lot of foss that grow a lot, and after have
given more than 8 years of it's time to Nagios, he legitimately create
a support enterprise behind it, "Nagios Enterprise". The Icinga fork
came from community members that are also employees of another society
that supports Nagios : Netways. If the GPLv2 license of Nagios was
respected, it seems more like a business fork than a foss one for the
nagios author. That had irritate Nagios author and the major part of
the community have stay in the Nagios project.

Unfortunately, this story have a side effect : we are thinking Ethan
began to turn against the community, and this open spirit that allow
this fork, by ignore even more the community and refuse to answer to
code enhancement proposals.
Last but not least affront : he ask the DNS entry of the French nagios
community site (http://www.nagios-fr.org) to be give to him so he can
raised a new community, more corporate : in this site we can see some
posts about the felon (but open source and nagios relative) Icinga
project! This fork seem to have finally more cut Ethan author and the
community than the community into two parts.

That's the last straw for a community who want to be as free as foss
it supports. In Open Source, we have "free as in beer" but also "free
as in speech". I, as the leader of the French community, and with the
support of community members, answer him that it will be be tolerated
to be dictate laws about what the community can speak about. To do not
risk an hypothetical sue from Nagios Enterprise (for trademark
protection), we have decided to migrate the site to monitoring-fr.org
and to gave the nagios-fr.org site to Nagios enterprise when the
migration will be finished.

With this open letter entitle "The nagios community wants to keep its
open soul", the community ask where the project is going and if it
will still be open and ethically respectful of the open source spirit.
Some question raised about the real open aspect of the Nagios future
by freezing the current open source part and put it into a close
solution (Nagios XI, close application based on Nagios, soon available
from Nagios Enterprise) that seem to be the only part that will evolve
in the future. The community also ask how it's seen in the Nagios
project, if it still have is its place into it and if it must hold its
tongue about what is not "corporate" for Nagios Enterprise.

The community want to help on the industrialization and support of
Nagios by free software business, but still want to keep its soul. The
community wish Nagios keep it's first rank, that was give to it by the
community, and the project came back to "the old good time" when foss
developers and people who just want to help had yet their words to say
against marketing communication.

We wish this open letter will not be a dead letter, because this will
finish to dig the gap between the author and its community, that
represent a major part of the project's power, and will not finish by
a fork that will divided again the community, and will add another
taboo name in all sites that speak about Nagios.

Signed by:
*The French community
*Olivier Jan, writer of a french book bout Nagios, and leader of the
french community
*Gabes Jean, writer of another french book about Nagios
*Gerhard Lausser, writer of a german book about Nagios

Download Intel® Parallel Studio Eval
http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev