Nagios core 3.2.0 Error in config but nothing shown in --verify-config

Jelle Smet nagios at smetj.net
Sun Feb 21 12:40:16 CET 2010

Hi list,

I'm using nagios 3.2.0 and I'm currently in the situation
that I have an error somewhere in my config files which I can't trace
back.
When starting nagios with the '--verify-config' option and pointing
to my main config file I get following output: (I have replaced sensitive
data with xxxxx)
In this (development/test) setup I currently have 1 config
file for each host, which results into a huge amount of separate config
files, but they're all processed without any apparent problem.
Nowhere
along the way there's an error or even warning reported.

It's not that
processing the last file before the 'Error' is the culprit, because
removing that, results nagios to stop on another position with the same
error.
Going back to the last thing I have configured is also not an option
as I have reconstructed my config files by parsing the objects.cache
file.
I already scanned all config files on non printable characters,
nothing found either.

What could be causing the problem, rather, how to
proceed troubleshooting this?
I guess Nagios not clearly reporting on the
problem is a bug?
I can't post my config files for obvious reasons

Thanks,

Jelle

.... snip....

Processing object config directory
'/opt/nagios/etc/objects/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'...
Processing object config file
'/opt/nagios/etc/objects/Datacenter_xxxxx/hosts/storage_appliances.cfg'...
Processing
object config directory
'/opt/nagios/etc/objects/Datacenter_xxxxx/services'...
Processing object
config directory '/opt/nagios/etc/objects/Remoteoffice_xxxxx'...
Processing
object config directory
'/opt/nagios/etc/objects/Remoteoffice_xxxxxx/hosts'...
Processing object
config file
'/opt/nagios/etc/objects/Remoteoffice_xxxx/hosts/storage_appliances.cfg'...
Processing
object config directory
'/opt/nagios/etc/objects/Remoteoffice_xxxx/services'...
 Error processing
object config files!

***> One or more problems was encountered while
processing the config files...

 Check your configuration file(s) to ensure
that they contain valid
 directives and data defintions. If you are
upgrading from a previous
 version of Nagios, you should be aware that some
variables/definitions
 may have been removed or modified in this version.
Make sure to read
 the HTML documentation regarding the config files, as
well as the
 'Whats New' section to find out what has changed.