New Nagios dev branch?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Feb 9 12:41:26 CET 2010

On 02/09/2010 09:43 AM, Ton Voon wrote:

> On 1 Feb 2010, at 15:56, Ton Voon wrote:
>
>>> Can you provide more details on what it is you are proposing to add?
>>> Synchronization stuff may make more sense being implemented as a NEB
>>> mobule or addon, so I'd like to see what's on the plate.
>>
>> Patch attached. Applies cleanly to CVS at the moment.
>>
>> While I agree that slave synchronisation sits outside code Nagios,
>> there are changes that are required to Nagios to support such a
>> feature. The patch contains the core changes required to Nagios.
>>
>> The idea is that there is a "sync_retention_file" which has slightly
>> different logic to a normal "state_retention_file", such as only
>> syncing if the last_check time in the sync file is earlier than the
>> retained last_check time. The sync file is removed when it has been
>> read. A new API is also added (SYNC_RETENTION_FILE) to allow syncing
>> when required. Comments and downtimes are searched based on "similar
>> attributes" (because id numbers will not be the same).
>>
>> It also contains test cases for reading the new sync_retention_file,
>> and some test cases for the new downtime search functions.
>>
>> I've included documentation both in the sample configuration file
>> and the configmain.html (which looks generated?). There's probably
>> additional documentation required as this is an advanced feature and
>> I'll commit to doing that if this is going to be included.
>>
>> Apologies for the code formatting. I'll clean that up if this is
>> okay to include in CVS.
>>
>> Comments?
>
> Any feedback? Some people might think there is a lack of development
> in Nagios :)

I'm kinda torn on this option. If Nagios is given the option to accept
check results via a socket rather than from temporary files, there's
no harm in having the checking daemons sit on a different server, with
possibly a feeder daemon in between to handle authentication, security
and multiplexing.

I'm for it, but I feel it would be redundant with a different fix.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/theplanet-com