New Nagios implementation proposal

Romuald FRONTEAU rfronteau at nagios-fr.org
Thu Feb 4 11:14:03 CET 2010

Hi Andreas, Ethan,

I'm a member of community team Nagios-fr.org. I read Mailing list and I have some questions of futur of Nagios. This mail is for Ethan and I want a response.

The Dev :

This changement could do slowly in a "Labs Branch" of dev. The 3.x Branch can correct the massive bug of Nagios.

Project Zabbix or Zenoss Evolve and features become interested. Nagios is in the wave of success but Don't stop now. The fall could be so fast.

There is 3 step in a Open Source Project : Dev / Community / Business

Ethan have succefully Develop Nagios Core during ten years And now he begin the Business Branch. It's Ok no problem.

The Core Roadmap :

If the dev team are afraid to change the code of Nagios Core because it's not optimaly, How Nagios Core Evolve in futur ?

This is my opinion but some people are afraid. Some projects begin to born in the cloud (Zenoss is changing very quickly and for example, Centreon became interested in Shinken concept (POC of Jean Gabès), Zabbix 1.8 performance). Nagios Core is powerfull but this algorithm have 10 years old. New technologies, ideologies around supervision and enterprises life, I think of Jean Gabès and Mattias Kettner Gabes ... I stay speechless. Their ideas are simply enormous. And I think these players can help to mark a new era for Nagios Core.

I think that men like these on their site for the evolution of the Core on new technologies. For me to refuse changes would be a strategic error on your part because there is a real movement now in the supervision and Nagios could mark a major blow and be quiet for several more years if that choice was price.

True it is a difficult choice to make, but I think being too rigid on the evolution of Core and refusing dev and not communicating with the community, there will be heavy division final.

If Linus Torvalds did not trust the developers of the community, where would Linux is today. I think the vision and contribution of many people and really good for an expansion project.

The community :

How do you consider today's players of the community (no developpers but actors) ?

I think that you are so mysterious about Nagios Roadmap's. You could serve you et communicate with community actors to spread the "good word". The popularity of Nagios has been achieved thanks to its powerful and flexible code and its huge community.

I know you have experienced betrayal but about Nagios-fr.org, we have an real desire to work with you and to make of Nagios, the best and performant project.

Big Problem, the community Branch and the communication of Ethan is so poor and mysterious.

Ethan silence's irritates. He don't repond to actors community. What is the futur ? What is the Roadmap (no public roadmap) ? What is the rôle of community actors ?
Community.nagios.org :

Just an idea, Why don't you interview actors (no developpers because you already do this) of world nagios community and to make them vital points.

This is just my point of view of Nagios wave now. I don't want to angry you this my mail. I have an great admiration but Ethan is so mysterious in my opinion (but with girls that could be success but with a community )

Thank you for taking the time to read this mail, hoping that it can help you or show you fear in a community.

Fronteau Romuald
Team Nagios-fr.org
rfronteau at nagios-fr.org

Fronteau Romuald