freshness_threshold bug - big problem

Rodney Ramos rodneyra at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 19:06:22 CET 2010

I have a central server running Nagios 3.2.3 that receives passive check
from others collectors servers.

When a collector goes down, the central server starts to check the hosts and
services of this collector, but the freshness_threshold does not work as it
should be. It does not respect the retry_interval that in my case is 1
minuto. It always takes 5 minutes to check the host status whith SOFT state.

I think it is a big problem, as a host or service can take more than 4 x 5 =
20 minutos to go to HARD state!!!!

Has someone found this bug or it is not a bug?

At the documentation I found:
"If you do not specify a value for the *freshness_threshold* option (that is
my case), Nagios will automatically calculate a "freshness" threshold by
looking at either the *normal_check_interval* or
*retry_check_interval*options (depending on what type
of state <https://arsino/nagios/docs/statetypes.html> the service is in). If
the service results are found to be "stale", Nagios will run the service
check command specified by the *check_command* option in the service
definition, thereby actively checking the service."

Can someone help me?

Thanks,
Rodney