Nagios headers fails to compile in C++

Matthieu Kermagoret mkermagoret at merethis.com
Wed Dec 15 17:49:19 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Glenn Herteg <gherteg at gwoslabs.com> wrote:
>  > It can't go in before 3.3 at the earliest. Otherwise I think it's a

Do you have any ETA about the release date of the 3.3 series ?

>  > pretty good idea to either stay away from C++ reserved words entirely
>  > or declare plain C as the only valid language for NEB modules.

I definitely vote for no C++ keywords ;-) There is not much than C and
they're not that obvious and/or widely used.

> I don't get it.  Since when are "command" and "contact" reserved words
> in C++?

They're not. They're types defined in Nagios headers.

> I suspect a conflict not with the C++ language, but with something else
> in the OP's compilation environment.
>
> While "command" -> "cmd" is a common substitution in programs, I strongly
> dislike the "contact" -> "cntct" transformation.  It's far less readable.
> Vowels are in the language for a reason.

Vowels are certainly useful but the problem is that 'contact' is also
a type. And as a matter of fact, the 'cntct' substitution is already
used thorough the code.

--
Matthieu KERMAGORET | Développeur

mkermagoret at merethis.com

MERETHIS est éditeur du logiciel Centreon.