Keeping an eye on the tinderbox builds

Ton Voon tonvoon at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 03:02:39 CEST 2010

Hi,

Can I make a request to keep an eye on the tinderbox builds as it is
correctly flagging up issues when changes are made:  http://tinderbox.nagios.org/nagios/status.html

There were across the board failures recently. This one is due to a
new variable created in base/nagios.c: http://tinderbox.nagios.org/cgi-bin/gunzip.cgi?tree=nagios&full-log=1281135716.7025

It's a bit rubbish that t-tap/test_nagios_config.c needs to have a
complete duplication of declarations in base/nagios.c - any ideas
gratefully received.

However, this failure was important: http://tinderbox.nagios.org/cgi-bin/gunzip.cgi?tree=nagios&full-log=1281097310.11818

This flagged that test_nagios_config was coming back with a test
failure. This turned out to be related to the recent change where
defer_comment_sorting=1.

After a lot of debugging, it turns out that the algorithm to delay
sorting was causing a problem whenever a comment is in retention.dat
with persistent=0, because the comment is added and then removed, but
the counter of number of comments is out of sync. I've changed it now
so that it uses the actual linked list of comments to determine the
number. I've also added some tests to make sure that a comment is kept
after the retention file is read, and a persistent one is removed
correctly.

This sort routine is used in Nagios 3.2.1, so I think CGIs will not
list comments correctly if there is just one comment with persistent=0.

But the main point is that you need to keep an eye on the tests. If
there are breakages, then there's something actually wrong that needs
investigating. The more tests we add, the better the regression testing.

All tests pass on my laptop now, so I'll see what Tinderbox says after
the daily tests.

For Opsview, we use Hudson (http://hudson-ci.org/) to continually run
our test scripts to ensure no regressions. It's great because it keeps
running the tests and will alert you if tests start to fail. Think of
it as Nagios for code development!

BTW, I tried updating my Nagios repo (http://github.com/tonvoon/opsview-nagios
) with Andreas' recent patches and all the tests broke, so I haven't
merged his changes into my branch.

Ton