[Nagios-devel] FW: Timeperiods and oncall rotation with UK Public holidays

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Apr 22 12:47:22 CEST 2010

On 04/22/2010 11:42 AM, Deborah Martin wrote:

> However, I've now hit a snag - how do I define UK public holidays periods as
> being 24 hours (particularly if they fall on a weekday) and put that
> timeperiod into each oncall engineers timeperiod so whoever is oncall on a
> particular UK public holiday will get the escalation alerts for the entire
> 24 hour period rather than the usual defined oncall period of "00:00-08:00
> and 17:30-24:00"
>
> I'd rather not explicitly define a UK holiday date to an oncall engineer as
> this would need to be maintained. I'd rather just have to update
>
> the timeperiod if the person rota'ed cannot cover that particular timeperiod
> as this will be few and far between in comparison.

It can't be done. You could add all holidays as a separate timeperiod and
then specify that timeperiod as an exception in the others, but that would
mean all on-call staff would get notified during each holiday.

There is no syntax for "if this contact should be contacted at all during
this day, use these times instead of the ones in the timeperiod, otherwise
keep ignoring it". I'd hate to have to try to code it up too, but if you
make a patch and add some tests to verify that it works, I'll go ahead and
apply it for you.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.