max_concurrent_checks=0 not working on 3.2.1 (maybe earlier versions, too)?

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Wed Apr 14 22:40:42 CEST 2010

Your server can only run so many checks at once, so setting it to 0
only says 'cap parallel check limits by what the CPU can do.'

On our dual quad-core CPU hosts with 8 GB RAM we get about 350 checks
running in parallel max at any given instant after restart; 90-92% of
our checks take less than 1 second to complete (most are SNMP-based).

We do attempt to have as many checks run as possible by setting
max_concurrent to 0 and by tweaking the next check time for all checks
to be the same second so that Nagios does attempt to run as many
processes as it possibly can at once.

Were you actually seeing your system start up 10,000 processes at once
with max_concurrent_checks set to 10,000?  That would be perfectly
reasonably if this were an Erlang-based system :), if you are getting
that number of processes at a given timel at the OS level, what kind
of system are you running on?  Impressive.

- Max