Are all characters allowed in custom object variables?

Jelle Smet nagios at smetj.net
Thu Sep 17 13:54:19 CEST 2009

Hi List,

Are all characters allowed to be used in Nagios custom object variables?
I have the impression it drops characters like a pipe symbol and possibly
others.
I can't find any documentation describing this behaviour though.
I was planning to store regular expressions as a variable value, to use in
scripts.

Anyone can confirm if this is by design?
Is there a way around it or is this a necessity?

Thanks,
Jelle Smet
http://www.smetj.net