Mass define servicedependency for NRPE services

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Thu Sep 3 03:28:28 CEST 2009

On 02/09/09 05:40 PM, Mathieu Gagné wrote:
> On 9/2/09 8:57 AM, Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:
>>
>> Mathieu Gagné wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Unfortunately, it doesn't work. This explains why I asked the
>>> mailinglist. If I do as you suggested, all NRPE based services will be
>>> depending on the NRPE service on ALL hosts. (not only their
>>> respective host)
>>>
>>> Here is my servicedependency definition:
>>>
>>> define servicedependency {
>>>     hostgroup_name                  hosts-with-nrpe
>>>     service_description             NRPE
>>>     dependent_servicegroup_name     nrpe-services
>>>     execution_failure_criteria      n
>>>     notification_failure_criteria   c,u
>>> }
>>
>> And what result you get with that? I have pretty much the same, but with
>> a "dependent_service_name" directive, and it should do the same. If it
>> don't, it's a bug.
>
> So I guess it's a bug or it wasn't initially planned to work that way.
> You will find attached to this message a patch against Nagios 3.0.6 that
> should fix this bug.
>
> This servicedependency definition should now work:
>
> define servicedependency {
>   service_description             NRPE
>   dependent_servicegroup_name     nrpe-services
>   execution_failure_criteria      n
>   notification_failure_criteria   c,u
> }

In the patch I'm talking about you would still need a host_name or
hostgroup_name directive - usually the same one that is defined on any
of your NRPE service definition. I don't see why you would want to take
it out either...

i.e.:

define service {
  hostgroup_name                  linux-servers
  service_description             NRPE
  blah blah blah...
}

define service {
  hostgroup_name                  linux-servers
  service_description             Load
  servicegroups                   nrpe-services
  blah blah blah...
}

define servicedependency {
  hostgroup_name                  linux-servers
  service_description             NRPE
  dependent_servicegroup_name     nrpe-services
  execution_failure_criteria      n
  notification_failure_criteria   c,u
}

Then on each host, "Load" (and any other service in nrpe-services)
becomes dependent of NRPE on the same host. Is that working?

- --
Thomas