16 ko passive check in core

Andrew Libby alibby at xforty.com
Fri Nov 27 13:56:44 CET 2009

Oliver,

When you say submit to core, are you receiving the checks
with your own software and writing them to the commands
file, or are you using nsca?

If you're using nsca, then the issue will involve more than
just core, the nsca system will be involved.

Looking at the nsca soruce, it appears that the biggest
payload that can be send with send_nsca is going to be 512
bytes.  There are other things in packet, like nsca version,
timestamp, crc32 checksum, the plugin return code, hostname,
and service description.  But the plugin output portion is
set to 512 bytes.

I believe there are options for submitting checks, like

http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Plugins/Others/check_multi/details

But I don't know if these are compatible with passive checks.

As for core itself, if I'm reading the code properly, I
think that the length of an entry in the external commands
file is limited to 8k.

Andy