Feature request: Host & Service groups. The next level?

Jelle Smet nagios at smetj.net
Tue Nov 17 16:50:21 CET 2009

Hi List & Devs,

I heavily rely for my setup on host and service
groups.
They come handy for all kind of goals, mainly

- to create
reports
- to issue mass commands
- to create visual overviews

Having the
ability to make groups a member of groups is already pretty nice from an
organisation perspective.
But I very often find myself in the situation
where I need to create many group combinations.
A small example:

A group
windows_hosts and linux_hosts
A group production and test
A group
datacenter_us and datacenter_eu

In order to create views and availability
reports such as: "production windows hosts from the eu datacenter"
I need
to create a groups like

datacenter_us_production_linux
datacenter_eu_production_linux
datacenter_eu_test_linux
datacenter_us_test_linux
And
make the hosts member of these, ....

This is still feasible for this
amount of groups, but as you know, this grows rather fast and becomes
extremely cumbersome.

It would be nice to have the ability to add a host
or service to multiple groups, like now and to have the ability to select
hosts or services with AND OR NOT parameters.

Show all hosts which are
member of datacenter_us AND production AND linux_hosts

We're going to
patch all windows test servers in eu datacenter this weekend.

Apply
scheduled downtime on all hosts & services member of datacenter_eu AND test
AND windows_hosts

OR what would be completely awesome to have something
like this (simplified example)

define servicegroup{

servicegroup_name
linux_us_production

servicegroup_members_occur linux_hosts AND production
AND datacenter_us

}

What are your thoughts on this?

--