Database integration of SysNagios project

Markus.Almroth at teliasonera.com Markus.Almroth at teliasonera.com
Tue May 26 12:44:36 CEST 2009

> This sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.
I can demonstrate for you if you like :-)

> Happy to hear you like our stuff.

Well I've been working on it a couple of years, making custom packaging
and adapting to the needs of the sysadmins. It's getting to a point wher
I think its really neat.

> Such as not being able to transport events between hosts for
> one thing, I'd guess. This means you can't cluster things
> using NDOUtils.

Oups I missed that part. That makes it more or less useless for me then.
Of course it could be used to speed up the web frontend, but it won't
solve anything else. I still need mechanisms for transferring config
between proxy and master.

> Well, we could buy each other a few beers at the meet and
> discuss what we can do to help each other out a little. A
> quite simple solution would probably be to extend the merlin
> database slightly and write a small and stupid widget that
> gives you the information you want in sysnagios. That way you
> won't be forcing nagios users to abandon their current use of
> the notes_url, while not having to change the way
> configuration is distributed today.

What is needed is a mechanism for sysnagios to enter config into Merlin
and distribute it to the master host and whatever host who needs it for
redundancy.

Right now the notes_url-cgi is used, and hosts for proxy-hosts use
different host templates. That way nagios knows which proxy the host is
monitored from. When you press the update-icon (notes_url), the cgi does
an ssh-call to the proxy, which in turn calls getchonfigs.sh, which
contacts the host, downloads and parses the config etc.

I'd like the getconfigs.sh script to insert the config directly into a
database. That way I would'nt have to have the same config file on every
proxy and the main host. Also I think error handling would be easier.
Removing of hosts from Nagios is also a problem today, since I have to
manually remove the cfg-files from the proxies. It's also annoying that
I manually have to make sure the proxies has the same set of hostgroups,
servicegroups etc as the main Nagios server.

Mechanisms needed:
* Remote call to download config from monitored host
* Universal update of hostgroupetc-config.
* Error handling (wrong spelling etc)

/Markus