Daemonizing Logic Error

Devin Bayer web at t-0.be
Sat May 16 13:13:22 CEST 2009

Hi Andreas Ericsson:

On Sat, 2009-05-16, at 13:55, Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> Devin Bayer wrote:
>>

>> We faced an issue when nagios silently failed to fork.  Since it's
>> part of  our startup scripts, this delayed the rest of the daemons
>> until nagios exited.
>
> While it's bad that Nagios fails to daemonize OR die properly, your
> startup-script parser really shouldn't hang indefinitely when it
> encounters a start-script that doesn't return. I believe this should
> be bug-reported to your distribution-vendor separately.

I agree - but this is RHEL5, and it is not a new class of bug.  The
fact that it isn't already fixed means it's a policy: daemons are
responsible for exiting timely.

> Hmm. I'll look into this and see what may be done.

Thanks a lot.  Do you have some kind of tracking system, so I can know
when/if it's fixed?

- Devin

http://p.sf.net/sfu/businessobjects