TR: retained_service_attribute_mask and other alike config options : do they really work ??

SCHAER Frederic frederic.schaer at cea.fr
Thu May 14 15:48:06 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm transferring this to the dev list, as I suspect something more like
a bug (and probably no standard user will be able to answer)

Hi,

I'm facing a strange problem.

I have in my definitions services for which notifications are disabled :
I'm still running those services on all nodes because it gives me
indication something went wrong on all nodes.

I recently had to suppress notifications for all services of a
hostgroups because of a general failure on those hosts, and problem is
that when I used the nagios CGIs to re-enable the service notifications,
notifications for those services I really don't want any notification
got enabled too... and I had to disable all those notifications in that
hostgroup again using the CGIs (I hope you follow).

So now I'm wondering how could I fix the situation, and restore things
to normal (i.e : according to services config file) without loosing all
services current state.

I just tried to use the following in my nagios 3.1 config file.

retained_service_attribute_mask=1

retained_process_service_attribute_mask=1

Tried that, because it looks like the correct value to use according to
include/common.h is :

#define MODATTR_NOTIFICATIONS_ENABLED           1

(by the way : what's the real difference between those 2 variables ? I
can't understand the real difference reading the documentation)

Anyway : this didn't work. Services are still disabled on restart or
reload.

I then tried this :

retained_service_attribute_mask=MODATTR_NOTIFICATIONS_ENABLED

retained_process_service_attribute_mask=MODATTR_NOTIFICATIONS_ENABLED

I know values are wrong, but nothing prevented nagios from restarting.
And off course it still didn't work, services notifications are still
disabled.

So what ?

Are these configuration option really implemented ?

I'm trying to look into the code, and I don't see anywhere the values
defined in the code being used :

nagios-3.1.0]$ grep -r retained_service_attribute_mask *

base/nagios.c:unsigned long   retained_service_attribute_mask=0L;

base/utils.c:extern unsigned long retained_service_attribute_mask;

base/utils.c:   retained_service_attribute_mask=0L;

base/config.c:extern unsigned long retained_service_attribute_mask;

base/config.c:          else
if(!strcmp(variable,"retained_service_attribute_mask"))

base/config.c:
retained_service_attribute_mask=strtoul(value,NULL,0);

(and then, only html files)

So the C variable wouldn't be used at all ?

Am I missing something ?

Thanks && regards