git import (again ;-))

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed May 13 18:07:30 CEST 2009

sean finney wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 04:00:04PM +0200, Hendrik Baecker wrote:
>> There is only one contra git:
>> To the most of the users, who never dealed with git, it's so high magic.
>> It is really something special, if you came from the centralised (the
>> dark) side of SCM to a distribued one.
>
> and "most of the users" don't have any VCS access at the moment, so there's
> not much of a loss there :)

Well, they have read-only access. If git feels scary, I can easily set up
git-cvsserver at work to make those who prefer a "blind" checkout without
history less scary.

However, one other nice property of git is that it makes it ridiculously
easy to have distributed developer teams set up. German community wants
to run a Nagios hackathon? Sure, go ahead. Hendrik, Joerg or someone else
me, Ton and Ethan trust can just publish a git repository with reviewed
changes when they're done, and we'll merge, test and release their stuff
without hesitation. Possibly with a quick glance to make sure backwards
compatibility isn't broken with regards to eventbroker modules, but I
doubt even such things will be necessary, and that's where git truly
shines: It lets you distribute trust in a very simple way.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

Register now for Nordic Meet on Nagios, June 3-4 in Stockholm
 http://nordicmeetonnagios.op5.org/

on peace.