Tests in Nagios

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed May 13 17:10:39 CEST 2009

Haydn solomon wrote:
> I track nagios changes by doing a git-cvsimport. Today is the first time
> I've seen committers other than Ethan, namely Andreas and Ton. Is this a
> change as a result of the recent fork discussions?

Yes and no. It's just a way of formalizing what's been in place for a
long time. As part of my dayjob, I've always been tasked with fixing serious
and not so serious issues in Nagios. Ton is doing similar things in his
capacity of programmet at Opsera.

However, we all hope this will provide a faster and better way forward for
the Nagios core in such a way that patches no longer get dropped and that
new functionality can get added at a much more rapid pace.

I for one will try to act like a lieutenant and gatekeeper for everyone
who wants to submit patches. I fully expect patch submitters to be able
to polish their patches to a state where I find them acceptable for
inclusion (this includes a proper commit-message for the patch). In turn,
patch contributors should be able to expect me or someone else in the dev
team to reply to their patches within a day or two at the most.

I also expect prominent community developers without CVS write access to
help review patches to make life easier for me. In turn, I promise to
comment/accept/reject reviewed patches first and seriously take the first
review into consideration.

Naturally, I'll add my own touch to the Nagios core. The first thing I'll
get to work on is to add an include-syntax for nagios' primary config file
which, I hope, will make life a little bit easier for package maintainers
who also want to ship pre-compiled Nagios eventbroker modules.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

Register now for Nordic Meet on Nagios, June 3-4 in Stockholm
 http://nordicmeetonnagios.op5.org/

on peace.