Two Service Escalation Bugs

Mark Gius mgius at createspace.com
Wed May 6 23:36:38 CEST 2009

I would like to report two bugs in Nagios.  I have confirmed these bugs
in Nagios 3.06, 3.10, and a build of the CVS checkout at 2:17PM PST May
6 2009.

The first bug relates to service escalations.  According to the object
tricks documentation
(http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objecttricks.html), it is valid
to define a service escalation as follows

    define serviceescalation {
    name                        office-escalation
    register                    0

    host_name                   *
    service_description         *
    escalation_period           workhours
    escalation_options          c,u,r
    }

On all three of the builds I tried, this results in a "Could not expand
services specified in service escalation" error.  After consulting this
mailing list post
(http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.devel/5933), I disabled
regex, which allows me to use "*" in host_name, but not in
service_description.

This bug could be a result of incorrect documentation in the tricks page.

The second bug is an annoyance for me.  When defining a service
escalation, I found that the following escalation will generate _no_
service escalations, and will not give any errors or warnings.

    define serviceescalation {
    hostgroup_name   myHostgroup
    escalation_period workhours
    escalation_options c,u,r
    }

My assumption for how this behaved was that it would match all services
of the hostgroup.  I am apparently incorrect (or another bug...), but in
my opinion a service escalation definition that results in 0 generated
service escalations should at the very least display a warning during
the syntax check.

Mark Gius