Future of Nagios (was Nagios is dead! Long live Icinga!)

Jeremy Hanmer jeremy at hq.newdream.net
Wed May 6 21:59:33 CEST 2009

I'm not sure why anybody thinks Nagios isn't capable of scaling to
anything of that size.  I'm currently monitoring almost exactly twice
that (60,000 services/6000 hosts) with 6 hosts and the load on every
host is well under .5 (most are .1).  The _only_ reason I have so many
monitoring hosts is that the network spans 3 physical locations and I
need some redundancy.  I'm even using custom perl scripts for a large
portion of the checks and I haven't needed to even consider using the
embedded perl interpreter yet.