Nagios is dead! Long live Icinga!

Steven D. Morrey smorrey at ldschurch.org
Wed May 6 18:27:29 CEST 2009

So you're saying you've forked Nagios?
Sounds interesting, but instead of focusing on the personal reasons for a fork (a perceived lack of leadership), can you please explain the technical reasons for the fork.
I'm quite curious as well as I'm sure are many others, about Icinga, can you please answer the following questions?

What was wrong with Nagios from either a user or developer perspective that you felt was not, or could not be addressed through the community.
Is there something you feel is architecturally wrong with nagios?
What does Icinga bring to the table or plan to bring to the table, to address these issues?
Is Icinga a true fork, could patches be made available to those on Nagios?  Or will Icinga be a distinct product with a new pedigree?
Will migration to Icing be as simple as loading up a new binary, i.e. will it strive to maintain full compatibility with Nagios, or is it trying to break the mold?
Who is backing this project?  An organization i.e. business of some kind, or something more akin to a users group?
What would be the incentive if any for businesses who have invested heavily in a Nagios based infrastructure to switch?
Finally, if you use Nagios in a mission critical business application space what is wrong with development occurring as iteration rather than revolution?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Steve