Nagios is dead! Long live Icinga!

Ethan Galstad egalstad at nagios.com
Wed May 6 17:56:04 CEST 2009

Hmmm, well here's my response to this...

1. Nagios is NOT dead.  It's been around for 10 years now and will
continue to be alive and well for many more to come.

2. While it may appear that things are slow to the community, many
things are happening behind the scenes, including:

- The rollout of annual support contracts for Nagios.  We've been
working very hard since January to bring this to fruition and  they are
scheduled to be available in the next 6 weeks or so.

- We've had to spend considerable resources protecting the Nagios
project against commercial entities that would endanger its future.
Netways is the biggest company that is violating the Nagios trademark,
causing us many legal headaches, and using it in a manner which is
confusing to people who are not "in the know".  We have made several
attempts over the past months to resolve this amicably with Netways, but
they have refused to respond to us, let alone work to resolve this
issue.  From what I can tell from our experiences with them thus far,
Netways appears to be using "the community" to exploit the Nagios
project.  Their actions have endangered Nagios and its future.  If we
weren't having to deal with headaches they caused, I would have had more
time in the past few months to actually do development.  I plan on
outlining the challenges we've faced with this, as well as our plans to
work with and enhance the community at the Op5 Nordic Nagios meet next
month.

3. It would appear that this fork has been orchestrated by Netways in a
rather underhanded manner, which doesn't surprise me at all given their
actions in the past.  Over time, others may come to see that Netways may
not be the best company to associate with due to their ethics and
business practices.

4. Big things are coming around the bend for Nagios.  Big things take
time.  Be patient for a bit longer and you'll see the results.

Ethan Galstad
President
___
Nagios Enterprises, LLC