Nagios is dead! Long live Icinga!

Hendrik Baecker andurin at process-zero.de
Wed May 6 14:58:46 CEST 2009

Andreas Ericsson schrieb:
> As a software engineer, I like what I see. As a friend of Ethan's
> and a longtime Nagios community member, this is just sad.
Even if I'm one of those mystique Icinga guys, I agree with you.
It was a hard decision to do, what we are doing. It's not to commit an
outrage to Ethan - just an very encouraged try to bring some active
development back to a great monitoring tool.

> The way I see it though, it's not too late to salvage this yet, but
>  it would require quite a lot of work on Ethan's part, and a lot of
>  goodwill from the newly founded Icinga team.

IMO, if Ethan would be more open to other contributors, a fork
wouldn't be necessary. But there were so many tries to lead him
helping hands. He never gives back a direct "No" or s.th. similar -
but also he never took those hands.
> Nagios' problem is, as stated, that Ethan is both inactive and the
> single bottleneck for all new patches and functionality that the
> community wants to include into the core one way or another. A
> solution to this would ofcourse be to be more free with handing out
> commit access and making the Nagios project more of a team effort.
> Ethan doesn't scale, but the community does.
This is one big goal for icinga. We want to be scalable instead of a
single point of waiting / frustrating.

> I hope Ethan wakes up and starts working with the community again,
> and that he does so because it's fun.
I'm not angry with Ethan, but I see Nagios to be dying if it goes
forward in the same manner.

> I hope Ethan moves to a DSCM and provides push access to prominent
> contributors in the community.
I think git should be good for this?
I hope so, I realy don't want to loose all my commits on icinga.

> I hope Icinga forks from that DSCM, and uses the same DSCM to
> maintain their own code so that a future merge becomes as painless
> as possible.
Icinga forked from a cvs2git copy, so future merging might be possible.

> I hope Icinga releases their code early, so they don't fall into
> the pitfall of keeping things in the dark, promising "any day now
> we'll have something that's technically superior to what Nagios
> has". I searched their site but found no source there now, so
> presumably they have nothing to show yet. This makes the programmer
> in me go "ouch, do they suck that much?"

I know what you mean. I feel very sorry that the current code is not
accessible to the public right to the announcement day.
It's a single fact, that the first code publishing will be just a
renamed nagios, a "update-check-as-opt-in", a new 'configure', design
and a included ndoutils/idoutils code.
the actual code base is not compileable but it will be much nicer
within the next days.
I would hate the thought to publish non workable 'dirty' code.

> I hope this isn't just a political stunt to get Ethan to come out
> of hiding. If it is, it's very bad form. Put up the code and I'll
> have no doubts this is genuine anymore ;-)
As I mentioned before. Code base will be opened in the next days as a
pre-alpha, mega-super-testing phase ;)
No, it's not only a political stunt to get Ethan to wake up again.

> I hope Icinga keeps their promises of staying 100% nagios-
> compatible. op5 doesn't want to fork upstream projects, but we may
> have to to keep API's and whatnot stable.
We defined the nagios core components, like scheduling, alerting, and
so on as good enough to kept untouched.
So object and api handling should be fully compatible to nagios.
The next steps should be a open development of the blocking ndoutils
and better db abstraction.
Of course we want to catch up the latest nagios related patches, test
them and apply them upstream - a thing we are all missing for the
moment, don't we?

Regards,
Hendrik