nagios 2.12: better error handling in my_system

Kamens, Jonathan jkamens at Advent.COM
Mon Mar 9 17:32:02 CET 2009

We're still using nagios 2 still rather than nagios 3 -- we haven't had the resources to go through the effort to test the upgrade.  We were having problems with nagios 2.9 where event handlers were sometimes not getting called.  Some nagios log messages suggested that my_system was failing, but there were no useful details in the log.  I decided to pursue this by (a) upgrading to nagios 2.12 and (b) adding more useful error diagnostics to my_system in base/utils.c.  As it happens, it appears that the upgrade to nagios 2.12 solved the problem all by itself (which is odd, but what the heck, I'll take it :-), but independent of that, I think the fixes to my_system for better error diagnostics are useful, so I'm submitting them here for the consideration of the developers who might be able to get them checked into the source tree ;-).  See attached.

Thanks,

[cid:image001.jpg at 01C9A0B3.0C348B10]  Jonathan Kamens
Operations Manager
Tamale RMS
Advent Software, Inc.
201 South Street, Floor 3