Nagios 3.1.1 eats cpu like mad

Frater, Greg J GJFRATER at bechtel.com
Wed Jun 24 23:00:03 CEST 2009

>Patch is in CVS now.  Can someone who was experience scheduling
problems with the 3.0.6 release test the latest 3.1.2 release?  If the
problem still persists, its likely in one of the following functions in
>base/utils.c:

We are having trouble with host checks getting *stuck* in the scheduling
queue and staying there for at times several hours before clearing out.
The funny thing, to me at least, was that service checks were running
through seemingly without issue.  If that's the type of problem your
talking about then I'd be willing to test the new version.

We were running 3.0.6, I've just upgraded to 3.1.2, I'm still seeing the
problem.  It's not all host checks though, or at least not all the time,
3.1.2 has been running for about 40 minutes now, initially it was
processing host checks just fine but there's a couple stuck at the top
of the queue, they've been there for the last 13 minutes.  If I need to
look at something else I will, just let me know what you need.

I have a follow on question.  In the past I've upgraded wholesale (i.e.
moved the nagios directory and installed in a fresh directory.  However
because I've got PNP, NagVis and other stuff setup I tried a new upgrade
method, please tell me if this was an effective way to do it.  After
compiling the 3.1.2 code I just copied the nagios and nagiostatus
binaries to /usr/local/nagios/bin and copied all of the new cgi files to
/usr/local/nagios/sbin.  Did I miss anything doing this?  Is there a
better way to do an in place upgrade?

Thanks,

-greg