netutils use of socket descriptor

Holger Weiß holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Sun Jun 21 18:32:50 CEST 2009

* Thomas Guyot-Sionnest <dermoth at aei.ca> [2009-06-17 16:18]:
> While the above patch doesn't change any behavior, I was wondering if it
> could loop in case we get a mix of IPv4/v6 addresses and one of the two
> isn't supported. It looks like it would return EINVAL (Unknown protocol,
> or protocol family not available.) in that case, but I'm not experienced
> at all in sockets...

The getaddrinfo(3) call will currently provide IPv4 addresses only, as
hints.ai_family is set to PF_INET.  Of course, it would be nice if this
could be changed in order to support IPv6, too.  But even then, I don't
see a reason to handle EINVAL (or EPROTONOSUPPORT) specially.  Simply
loop over all available addresses and use the first one that works,
regardless of why any others don't work.

Holger

http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;215844324;13503038;v?http://opensourcebridge.org