Leading space in continuation lines

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Fri Jun 19 14:35:03 CEST 2009

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Holger Weiss<holger at cis.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> * Gerhard Lausser <Gerhard.Lausser at consol.de> [2009-05-02 13:49]:
>> I attached a patch for base/utils.c(mmap_fgets_multiline) (v3.10) which cuts
>> off leading white space from continuation lines.
>
> Of course, this breaks configurations which do stuff like
>
>        command_line $USER1$/check_foo one\
>                                       two
>
> and expect to get this parsed with white space between "one" and "two".
> However, this incompatibility is probably negligible, and I guess most
> users would prefer if leading white space was stripped from continuation
> lines.

We do this a lot for some of our check commands that take a long list
of arguments as I would think others do (wouldn't think it is so much
of an edge case if one is using long options in command lines for
readability).  Most people would put a space between the last
character in the line and the continuation character as most (not all
of course) programming languages otherwise would treat the \ as a
character in the last word of the line :P.

We have lots of cases of

check_command path_to_file --switch1 --switch2 --switch-with-arg 1 \
     --switch-with-arg 2 \
     --switch-with-arg 3 \
     --switch-with-arg 4

so just please don't allow someone to now add a patch to strip
trailing characters from before continuations too :) - hopefully a few
good test cases would ensure this does not happen.

Regards,
Max

server and web deployment.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/businessobjects