Are all the last_update values in status.dat always the same?

Ethan Galstad egalstad at nagios.org
Fri Jul 31 16:05:23 CEST 2009

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Steven D. Morrey wrote:
>> I've vetted through 2.7, 2.12 and 3.x in all cases it's the same
>> fprintf(fp,"\tlast_update=%lu\n",current_time);
>>

> Typ. It was introduced in commit 93d550845e56ea41682ef348065be0a667f8e7f7,
> which describes as nagios-1.0-45-g93d5508. That's *waaay* old (2003-02-15).
>
>> Oddly enough I don't think this was a bug.  I think that this WAS a
>> bug fix way back in the mists of time, the reason being is that the
>> last_update time is NEVER set or updated except when it's read in
>> from retention.dat

[snip]

>> I vote for complete removal of this line and
>> modification of extinfo.c to use the file update time, since it
>> appears to be the only file that uses it. Let me know what you think!

There was a time when Nagios did non-aggregated updates to the status
file.  Meaning as each service/host was checked, the status file was
updated.  This meant each status entry could have a different last
update time.  Obviously, this doesn't scale very well, and
non-aggregated status updates were dropped.

Short answer is that this functionality can probably be removed now.

- Ethan Galstad