Profiling Shows Long Time Spent in Reaper (Possible Lock Contention?)

Steven D. Morrey smorrey at ldschurch.org
Thu Jul 16 19:00:16 CEST 2009

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to run the event profiler on their system and see what comes up?
The reason I ask is that after running the event profiler for a while here, I've noticed, that at least on my setup, upwards of 70% of the time is spent in the reaper.
Admittedly this could be due to a misconfiguration on my part, but changing the service reaper frequency from 3 to 15 made things worse.
My Used/High/Total Check Result Buffers: are  264 / 622 / 4096 respectively.
My avg time per event for the reaper is 3.26 seconds it went up to 10 seconds when the frequency was set to 15.
My hunch is it probably would have been longer but there is the reaper bailout after a certain amount of time.

However I'm using DNX and DNX writes directly to the circular results buffer, so the question is...
What are the odds this is a problem with lock contention, or is there a more likely candidate.

Also I'd like to extend the event profiling metrics to find out for sure what's consuming all thing time, but before I do I was hoping someone more versed in the internals of Nagios could point me in the direction of what would be some good next things to measure.
Even so, if someone could please run the event profiler on their system and see if your getting similar results that would be a HUGE help.
Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Steve