Are all the last_update values in status.dat always the same?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Jul 9 09:23:22 CEST 2009

Cary Petterborg wrote:
> The value for last_update in status.dat is the same for all records
> on our installation (30,000 services, 3300 hosts on 2.7-  yes, I know
> it's old). Are there instances where this would not be the case? It
> seems that it would have been much more efficient to just put the
> last_update in the file once at the top if it is always the same for
> each record. Then things like diff and rsync of the status.dat file
> would be *significantly* better. Is there a possible use of the
> last_update field that I'm unaware of that would make a single
> last_update entry for the file be a bad idea?

They're tracked separately per status object. If the times are all
the same, that could mean you've found a bug, or Nagios does something
that doesn't quite make sense to me. This is from looking at the
data structures for hosts and services. I haven't examined the code
that prints it all out.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.