host check strangeness - odd behavior in Nagios scheduling queue

Ethan Galstad egalstad at nagios.org
Wed Jul 8 00:04:59 CEST 2009

Frater, Greg J wrote:
>>> Problem 1. Some host checks are getting *stuck* in scheduling queue.
>>> When I look at the scheduling queue these hosts are always listed
> with
>>> the 'last check' time the same as it's 'next check' time.  See
>>> attached screen shot (problem 1).  They typically stay at the top of
>>> the queue for an hour or two.
>>>
>> Does this problem persist if you specify active_checks_enabled
> specifically in the host object definition itself?
>
> No that did not make any difference.
>
>>> Problem 2.  Many of our hosts are not running host checks, they are
> in
>>> the scheduling queue but don't execute.  Looking at the scheduling
>>> queue I can see many of the hosts that have host 'last check' times
>>> from several weeks ago.  They show up in the queue but never run
> their
>>> host checks (or don't seem to).  These same hosts run service checks
>>> on time without issue.  Screen shot attached (problem 2).
>>>
>> Does this problem persist if you specify active_checks_enabled
> specifically in the host object definition itself?
>
> No difference here either.
>
> -greg

Try enabling the debug log for checks and see if you can find any
messages related to the scheduling of those particular host checks.  You
might need to schedule an immediate (non-forced) check of the hosts to
get them pushed through the event scheduling logic, so they appear in
the debug log.

debug_level=24
debug_verbosity=2
debug_file=/some/path/nagios.debug