Escalation Requests for Enhancement

Martin, Matthew Matthew.Martin at qwest.com
Tue Jan 20 20:34:11 CET 2009

Thank you to everyone who works on developing Nagios!
I am currently using Nagios 3.0.6 on Solaris 10 update 6 on i86

Here are some changes I would like to see in Nagios.

1)      It seems awkward to me that during a defined escalation, the escalation contact_groups *replace* the contact_groups defined in the host or service check. It would make more sense (to me at least), if the escalation contact_groups were *added* to the list of notifications.

2)      I also think it would make more sense if increasing severity of escalations could be defined, with additional contacts added at each level. For example a service defined with "HelpDesk" as a contact for *all* notifications; a "Severity 1" escalation being defined as beginning with the 3rd unhandled notification and adding the contact group  "Supervisors"; a "Severity 2" escalations being defined as beginning with the 6th unhandled notification and adding the contact group "Managers", etc. On the 7th notification all three groups would be getting notified without having to define "HelpDesk" as part of "Severity 1", or both "HelpDesk" and "Supervisors" in "Severity 2".

3)      Different escalations definable for different severity of alert, Warning, Critical, Unknown, etc.

4)      Apparently notifications and escalations do not work the same for passive checks as active checks. I have defined passive checks with "notification_interval 60" and escalations with "first_notification 3". My expectation was that this would behave exactly the same as an active check would, notifications hourly to the group defined in the check, with escalations after 3 hours to the group(s) in the escalation. In fact, since the passive check only happens once each day, I only get one notification to the contact group defined in the service on each of the first two days, and then notifications to the contact groups defined in the escalations thereafter. Not what I expected.

Thanks again,
Matthew