RFE for Nagios passive checks display

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Tue Jan 20 00:00:41 CET 2009

On 19/01/09 04:48 PM, Martin, Matthew wrote:
> The staff here is trained to keep an eye on the "Unhandled Problems" on the Tactical Overview page. Passive services do not appear in that view. The query shown is, for example:
> 	Display Filters:
> 	Host Status Types:	Pending | Up
> 	Host Properties:	Any
> 	Service Status Types:	Critical
> 	Service Properties:	Not In Scheduled Downtime & Has Not Been Acknowledged & Active Checks Enabled
>
> I think that the last part of the query "& Active Checks Enabled" is not such a useful interface for those of us that have devices that are only monitored passively, for example by SNMP traps.
>
> I've found I can work around this to make passive-only service appear in the list like so, but I would be nice to get this changed:
>
> define service{
>         use                             generic-service
>         name                            some_service
>         service_description             Some service description
>         active_checks_enabled           1            ; Active service checks are enabled
>         passive_checks_enabled          1            ; Passive service checks are enabled/accepted
> -->     check_command                   check_dummy  ; Just returns "OK"
>         normal_check_interval           60
>         notification_interval           60
>         max_check_attempts              1
>         retry_check_interval            1
>         notification_options            w,c
> -->     check_period                    none         ; "none" shown below....
>         servicegroups                   fw_logs
>         register                        0
>         }
>
> # 'none' timeperiod definition
> define timeperiod{
>         timeperiod_name none
>         alias           No Time Is A Good Time
>         }

Oh you may be right then - I never used the defaults here. I used the
following patch for quite some time now (In the 2.x series i was adding
the unhandled stuff as it wasn't there yet),. It does the following things:

1. Set default landing page to hostgroups overview
2. Add some javascript magic to allow logo transparency in PNG's on IE6
(For simplicity's sake I just rename my custom png logo to 'sblogo.jpg').
3. Change the links as follow:
  a. Unhandled Services:
    Host Status Types:      Pending | Up
    Host Properties:        Not In Scheduled Downtime & Has Not Been
Acknowledged
    Service Status Types:   All Problems
    Service Properties:	    Not In Scheduled Downtime & Has Not Been
Acknowledged & Notifications Enabled

  b. Unhandled Hosts:
    Host Status Types:      All problems
    Host Properties:        Not In Scheduled Downtime & Has Not Been
Acknowledged & Notifications Enabled
    Service Status Types:   All
    Service Properties:     Any

You can safely delete any hunk you don't want in it (i.e. if you want
only the links patch delete the first patch completely and the first
hunk (whole block starting with '@@ [...]') of the 2nd patch; the rest
should apply fine)

- --
Thomas