High latencies problem.

D. Emmanuel Feinsmith daniel at danielemmanuelfeinsmith.com
Tue Feb 17 19:15:01 CET 2009

Dear Alessandro,

You are more than likely eating up the cpu and memory with the
memcpy's executed by each fork of your check_nrpe and check_icmp
services. You can prove this out to yourself by using top to observe
the behaviour of the nagios processes. I would also suggest that there
is nothing else eating up CPU and memory on your nagios server box and
keep the box dedicated. Running top will show if there is resource
contention on your monitoring server. Keep in mind that check_nrpe is
amongst the slowest possible commands nagios can execute because it
has to wait for whatever timeout period you entered in your client
nrpe.cfg for the nrpe daemon to respond. This can take seconds in some
cases. A much more scalable solution is to enable passive checks
(using nsca/send_nsca) on some or all of your clients)

I would suggest the following things (from the nagios performance
tuning guide):

# Check service latencies to determine best value for maximum
concurrent checks. Nagios can restrict the number of maximum
concurrently executing service checks to the value you specify with
the max_concurrent_checks option. This is good because it gives you
some control over how much load Nagios will impose on your monitoring
host, but it can also slow things down. If you are seeing high latency
values (> 10 or 15 seconds) for the majority of your service checks
(via the extinfo CGI), you are probably starving Nagios of the checks
it needs. That's not Nagios's fault - its yours. Under ideal
conditions, all service checks would have a latency of 0, meaning they
were executed at the exact time that they were scheduled to be
executed. However, it is normal for some checks to have small latency
values. I would recommend taking the minimum number of maximum
concurrent checks reported when running Nagios with the -s command
line argument and doubling it. Keep increasing it until the average
check latency for your services is fairly low.

# Optimize host check commands. If you're checking host states using
the check_ping plugin you'll find that host checks will be performed
much faster if you break up the checks. Instead of specifying a
max_attempts value of 1 in the host definition and having the
check_ping plugin send 10 ICMP packets to the host, it would be much
faster to set the max_attempts value to 10 and only send out 1 ICMP
packet each time. This is due to the fact that Nagios can often
determine the status of a host after executing the plugin once, so you
want to make the first check as fast as possible. This method does
have its pitfalls in some situations (i.e. hosts that are slow to
respond may be assumed to be down), but you'll see faster host checks
if you use it. Another option would be to use a faster plugin (i.e.
check_fping) as the host_check_command instead of check_ping.

# Schedule regular host checks. Scheduling regular checks of hosts can
actually help performance in Nagios. This is due to the way the cached
check logic works (see below). Prior to Nagios 3, regularly scheduled
host checks used to result in a big performance hit. This is no longer
the case, as host checks are run in parallel - just like service
checks. To schedule regular checks of a host, set the check_interval
directive in the host definition to something greater than 0.

# Enable cached host checks. Beginning in Nagios 3, on-demand host
checks can benefit from caching. On-demand host checks are performed
whenever Nagios detects a service state change. These on-demand checks
are executed because Nagios wants to know if the host associated with
the service changed state. By enabling cached host checks, you can
optimize performance. In some cases, Nagios may be able to used the
old/cached state of the host, rather than actually executing a host
check command. This can speed things up and reduce load on monitoring
server. In order for cached checks to be effective, you need to
schedule regular checks of your hosts (see above). More information on
cached checks can be found here.

For more, see:

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/tuning.html

If none of this works, you may have to use passive checks or multiple
nagios instances to drop your latency.

Bon Chance!
Daniel.