Ways of having a passive only service with freshness checking

Thomas Lorenzen ki11er_bob at yahoo.dk
Fri Feb 13 14:45:33 CET 2009

Hi'

For passive only services I would like to use option

check_period   none

instead of option

active_checks_enabled   0

since the latter gives rise to showing these checks as disabled in the
"tactical overview", which the former does not. It is less confusing
for our operators to not see anything being disabled.

Now I have spiced these passive only checks up with freshness checkings, see docs/freshness.html, but it seems, that this only works, if I use "active_checks_enabled 0" instead of "check_period none". One might suspect that, but docs/timeperiods.html states, that "Note: On-demand checks and passive checks are not restricted by the timeperiod you specify in the check_period directive. Only regularly scheduled active checks are restricted.". Would you think, that freshness checking should also fall under that category.

Also, the FAQ at http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=271&expand=false&showdesc=false seems to indicate, that using "check_period none" would be the right thing to do, but maybe that was true only in an earlier release.

Best regards.

Thomas.

Audi, Fiat, Peugeot, Skoda, Porsche, Toyota, Ford - Kelkoo har brugte biler til en hver smag! Klik her for at sammenligne priser.(http://dk.yahoo.com/r/pat/mmb)