Strange load average with Nagios 3

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Sun Dec 13 04:39:56 CET 2009

Old thread but wanted to follow up as our situation is now resolved
regarding saw tooth wave patterns of load average every N hours as
nagios runs on a nagios 3.x poller of ours.

Our poller server was on RHEL 5.1 (kernel 2.6.18-53).  We upgraded the
host in-box to RHEL 5.4 (kernel 2.6.18-164.6.1), upgraded Nagios
source from 3.0.3 to 3.2.0, and recompiled Nagios and all NEB modules
we use.

We noticed a 200% increase in performance (polling cycle dropped from
4.5 minutes to 2.5 minutes) and a cessation of the sawtooth load
average pattern :). along with a 20-30% drop in system load as
reported by the OS!

We have seen similar boosts in performance when upgrading from RHEL
5.2 or 5.3 as well; I wish we had been able to nail down what
specifically did this for us among the hundreds of RPMs involved in
the upgrade.

Regards,
Max

Return on Information: