New Nagios implementation proposal

nap naparuba at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 10:33:46 CET 2009

Yep, you are wright, it's nearer a fork than a patch. But before being
a reimplementation proposal, Shinken was a proof of concept for pool
processes and distributed architecture. I already ask core dev what
they think about theses ideas. I ask them in offlist what they thought
about theses ideas because at this time, I did not want Shinken to be
seen as a Fork or something similar. It was just a proof of concept to
prove my ideas was not too stupid, and a C implementation was
possible.

I knew that distributed architecture was hard to accept, but the
process pool was not so hard, it's just a technical problem, not a
user thing.

Ethan just say nothing, Andreas think this is a too big change (the
process pool). At this moment, I knew there was a problem : a process
pool is something threatening in C. In others language? 10 lines and
it's good. If something is so simple in Python, Java, Perl, etc and so
hard in C, we can't evolve quickly.

I know Ethan will not be happy with it, it break its code but it's
still Nagios, just not the same code. I think he will vote 1 (or 4).
But at least he can say it. I try to make a good job for Nagios, a
great enhancement. I do it for all Nagios users, and for new ones
(very big and very little (windows) ones).

I think a good C coder can go into Python very easy. Nagios core dev
are just awesome C coders. Language change is not a real problem.
Change code is. It will take 6 months for reaching Nagios
functionalities, and maybe 6 others months for testing in devel
branch. But after we won't be afraid by Zenoss or Zabbix anymore.
I think this difficult year is not a too hard price for keeping the
number one position of open source monitoring. If core dev do not
think like me, I won't oppose their decisions, they do a great job for
10 years, making Nagios a so good product. If so, I will launch
Shinken as an independant product. Maybe I will just make an epic fail
(can you truly follow a man putting an Obiwan Kenobi option in a
survey? :) ) but at least I try to give to the open source world a
good monitoring product. At least the ideas I put in it will not be
lost (I speak a lot about process poll, but it's not the only one I
put into this code like new options for host/services).

So I vote 3 :)

Jean

PS: thanks for all votes.
PS2: thanks Gerhard, I nearly fall of my chair when I read your mail,
too much laugh with your lick screen ;)