New Nagios implementation proposal

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Dec 9 19:12:20 CET 2009

On Dec 9, 2009, at 9:12 AM, nap wrote:

> No other feed back ?
>
> Maybe we can start a survey :
>
> What do you think about think about changing the current implementation by a new one based on Shinken in the dev branch for Nagios 4?
> 1 : Stupid, useless and dangerous idea, we can still go on with the current implementation
> 2 : Can be look at, but have very slow chance of success
> 3 : Great idea!! Why isn't it already done?
> 4 : Obi Wan Kenobi (you just do not care about this or you just hate surveys)

Just my $0.02 and thoughts with the caveat that I have not been able to test your implementation.

Based on what you've been posting of late, I believe that you have an interesting thing going on. As to whether this should be a Nagios replacement, that's a non-starter in my mind. If you wrote a web server in python and approached the Apache Foundation asking it to be considered it as a replacement for Apache, do you think that would be viable? Especially if the current developers had not been intimately involved in all aspects of it's development up to that point? Same here. It wouldn't be Ethan's Nagios any more but yours. For all we know, Ethan doesn't even know or use Python at all. You are asking him to take a great risk with the Nagios name, based on something someone else wrote, completely replacing his decade-plus of work (outside of the concepts used by Nagios). That's a lot to
 ask of anyone, especially someone who is building a business around that product.

In the end, it's Ethan's decision but I see your project as living on it's own, similar to Icinga, promoting 100% nagios compatibility, but a completely different implementation none-the-less.

--
Marc

Return on Information:
Google Enterprise Search pays you back