Antwort: Re: New project announce: NSCA2

Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com
Wed Aug 26 10:03:19 CEST 2009

>   - The base class for the server is Net::Server that provides for
"free":

A personal note: this is already a no-go for me.

One of the main problems with nsca for me is the dependancy
on libmcrypt. Reason is that there are no packages for the
major linux distributions and installing third-party libraries
on _every_ server we use passive checks is really a pain and
a problem for us.

I searched for the Net::Server library within the RedHat
Enterprise Linux Repo and came up with no hit, so I assume
it's only available online via CPAN. That's already a problem
because most of our linux servers don't have internet access
and providing them with one is major pain too.

This is exactly the reason, that I have recently considered
rewriting NSCA too, just to get rid of the libmcrypt. Else
I don't see that much of enhancement needed - instead maybe
making send_nsca a <put your favourite language here>-script
for easier deploying to servers.

Regards
        Sascha

GFKL Financial Services AG
Vorstand: Dr. Peter Jänsch (Vors.), Jürgen Baltes, Dr. Tom Haverkamp
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Georg F. Thoma
Sitz: Limbecker Platz 1, 45127 Essen, Amtsgericht Essen, HRB 13522