XML, JSON, Webservice or something new ?

local.coder code at novageeks.org
Tue Aug 18 02:32:08 CEST 2009

I am back to writing some code for a new project involving Nagios. As
part of this I need light weight data access to status.cgi data.
Initially I was planning on modding ministatus.cgi which I know is not
part of the contrib anymore but it is a good starting place. At the same
time I looked into the status of something more standardized. I would
prefer to code to a standard that we can all get behind. The Nagios2Json
looks nice in that JSON is a basic format and gives me what I need,
however the current project is not Version 3+ compliant. I also found
the NXE addon for XML output but that has not been updated in some time.

Before using one of these and making them work I would like to see a
standardized model for the XML or JSON data structure. I have seen
several items on the wishlist for a webservice interface and that would
also work really well but again a standard API would need to be created.

What are others doing for small format host and service data and is
anyone deeply interested in coming up with some standardized XML or JSON
data templates ?

Thanks,
Derrick