NRPE and NMAP problems?

Keller, Mark D Keller.Mark at con-way.com
Wed Aug 12 23:10:36 CEST 2009

Hi,

Can't seem to find anyone else with this problem, so hopefully this is the right place to ask.

I am using NRPE 2.12 on many systems. We have an NMAP scan that happens daily. In the logs for our systems we get the following during the nmap scan:

Aug 12 14:02:33 myserver nrpe[12265]: Error: Network server getpeername() failure (107: Transport endpoint is not connected)
Aug 12 14:02:33 myserver nrpe[12265]: Daemon shutdown

I can recreate the error by running: nmap -sT -p 5666 localhost

The funny thing is that nrpe doesn't actually shutdown, but it does remove the pid file. So any restart scripts that rely on the pid file, now fail.

Could I be doing something wrong or is this a bug? I can repeat this on Linux, Solaris, and AIX with NRPE 2.12.

Thanks,

Mark