Where are the developers?

Ethan Galstad egalstad at nagios.org
Wed Aug 12 18:20:00 CEST 2009

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Hanging around on IRC, that is irc.freenode.net, #nagios, one rarely,
> or more precisely /never/ sees any of the core developers, just people
> using the system and helping out.
>
> Where are the developers? Is it a closed ring of those six mentioned
> on http://www.nagios.org/development/teams/core, and if so, why not
> embrace more of those of us that want to help?
>
> No doubt the Icinga fork will be a success if this sort of regime
> keeps going on
>
> roy
> --
> Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
> (+47) 97542685
> roy at karlsbakk.net
> http://blogg.karlsbakk.net/

Couple of things...

1. As has already been mentioned, IRC is not really an "official" place
for dev communication - that would be this mailing list.

2. AFAIK, everyone who contributes actively to Nagios as a developer has
another day job / other responsibilities /etc. in their lives.  Don't
expect anyone to have the bandwidth to be online/available to everyone
24x7.  Some people will slow down for a while and others might drop out
over time.  That's normal in anything and everything. Everyone does the
best they can.  That's all I expect of others who freely contribute of
their time and expertise, and I think that's that most others should
expect as well.

3. There's nothing holding back others from joining in on development.
Core team members are folks who have been known for a while to have been
active/knowledgeable on coding, design, etc.  Core teams can
expand/contract over time as needed.  If there's something you feel is
missing you can get involved by contributing some patches, addons, etc.
 That's the path to eventual core team member status.

- Ethan Galstad