Where are the developers?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Aug 12 17:38:20 CEST 2009

On Aug 12, 2009, at 9:21 AM, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Hanging around on IRC, that is irc.freenode.net, #nagios, one rarely,
> or more precisely /never/ sees any of the core developers, just people
> using the system and helping out.

Is there a reason you would expect to see them there? AFAIK, that's
just a user forum, not development. IMHO, time spent chatting on IRC
is time lost planning and coding.

> Where are the developers?

On this list.

> Is it a closed ring of those six mentioned
> on http://www.nagios.org/development/teams/core, and if so, why not
> embrace more of those of us that want to help?

I don't believe there is an unwillingness to embrace more and the
number of core developers increased substantially from the 1 that it
was before. How many is appropriate in your opinion?

I see patches and commentary from all manner of people here. Would you
give anyone commit access to your code base to anyone that hadn't
proven themselves beforehand? The people listed there are the
gatekeepers and from my observation are more than willing to accept
ideas, here or on http://ideas.nagios.org, and well written, useful
patches. If you want to be considered as one of the core developers,
as with any project, you need to show that you are a capable and
regular contributor, IMHO.

--
Marc